Skip to content

DNB#3 Cancelled Due to Equine Flu

DNB Members and Competitors,

As you may already know, there have been a number of cases of equine respiratory infections reported in the Maritime provinces. After much discussion, and consultation with veterinarians, the Dressage New Brunswick Board of Directors has decided to cancel our upcoming competition slated for the PLP on September 16 – 18th.

We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this causes our competitors, but we’d rather be safe and cancel the show than risk the spread of illness among the horses.

We’ll look forward to seeing you at our final show of the year in Sussex in October.

From Dr. Carl Dingee of the provincial vet services in Moncton:
Outbreaks of respiratory disease in horses have recently been reported in all three Maritime provinces, but preliminary laboratory testing has not yet ascertained the cause. Affected horses may show one or more of the following clinical signs: elevated temperature, coughing, nasal discharge, and/or decrease in appetite. As a precautionary measure, horse owners are recommended to isolate from other horses any horses exhibiting one or more of the clinical signs observed above and to refrain from taking affected horses to fairs, racetracks or other venues where they may come in contact with other horses until 7 days after all signs of illness have disappeared. Horses that are clinically ill are more likely to shed and pass on infectious agents when stressed by moving them to unfamiliar settings. In addition, animals that are stressed or ill may be more likely to acquire new infections and/or have relapses. Please consult your veterinarian for advice on how to minimize the risk of your horse acquiring a respiratory disease problem and on how to reduce the risk of spreading respiratory disease among horses.